Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Yet another home office question

When you claim the home office deduction, you base the deduction on the ratio of the square footage of the office as compared to the total square footage of your home. You multiply that ratio by the total rent, utilities, and renter's insurance paid.

If you want to allocate the home office to more than one activity, then you need to figure out what percentage of the time you spent using your home office for each activity. The IRS doesn't want you to deduct more than 100% of the allowable percentage of your rent and other expenses.

I don't know if you want to send in a tax return with 3 home office forms attached. If you made enough money by either moonlighting or publishing to absorb the total home office deduction that you're allowed to claim, then that's where you'll get the biggest tax break.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Hello! Here is a good one for you. I am a pediatric fellow. I have 3 incomes...my salary...my moonlighting and I publish on the side. I use my home office to generate all 3 salaries. What are the rules for taking MORE than one home office deduction? Is each home office deducted against each income on schedule A and against your wages? I know it sounds kinda greedy to clain 3 home office deductions although I feel they are legit so please tell me against which income would give me the biggest advantage if I only take one or two deductions.

Thanks!!!

Zip Code: cpa@mdtaxes.com