Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Two different states

Andrew's answer regarding your Ohio return is correct. Ohio starts with your Federal Adjusted Gross Income. Ohio doesn't allow itemized deductions.

On your Ohio return, you would compute your Ohio tax based on your Federal AGI, then you would prorate your Ohio tax based on the % of your income earned in Ohio.

Hope this helps,

Gary

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I was just wondering on how I would file. The first 6 months of 2002 I worked in NY and the last 6 months in Ohio. I do plan to itemize. How do my deductions affect my state returns, and do they at all? DO I need to separate my itemized deductions based on job. Thank you

Re: Re: Two different states

I failed to include my name and email address on the just submitted reply to your question.

Replying to:

Andrew's answer regarding your Ohio return is correct. Ohio starts with your Federal Adjusted Gross Income. Ohio doesn't allow itemized deductions.

On your Ohio return, you would compute your Ohio tax based on your Federal AGI, then you would prorate your Ohio tax based on the % of your income earned in Ohio.

Hope this helps,

Gary

Replying to:

I was just wondering on how I would file. The first 6 months of 2002 I worked in NY and the last 6 months in Ohio. I do plan to itemize. How do my deductions affect my state returns, and do they at all? DO I need to separate my itemized deductions based on job. Thank you

Zip Code: gary@davisandbrandel.com