Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: home office deduction

To claim the home office deduction, the following three tests must all be met:

1. The home office must be used by you as the principal place of business -- which means that your employer did not provide you with an office or other work space to perform your duties.

2. The home office must be used regularly for your business.

3. The portion of your home that you use as the home office must be used exclusively as the home office -- if it's used for any other purpose for even one day during the year, you're not eligible for this deduction.

The rules go on to state that if you're compensated as an employee, no deduction is allowed unless you use a portion of your home for an office for the convenience of your employer.

If you're a renter, and you qualify for the home office deduction, that's great since rent isn't otherwise deductible on your federal tax return. To find out more about the home office deduction, go to www.irs.gov, and take a look at Publication 587 or the instructions to Form 8829.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I am a fellow physician in training and am interested in if i can qualify for the home office deduction.

I use a second bedroom in my apartment as an office. There is my computer, books, files, journals, printer and all I need to work on my research, read journals, prepare letures, and organize my work schedule and more. I was wondering if I would qualify for the home office deduction and if you would recommend this.

Thank you

Zip Code: cpa@mdtaxes.com