Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: re:Business mileage

So here's another situation... my employer sent me to another city to do a mini-fellowship and paid for most of my housing cost. I believe I can deduct my mileage driving from my home to and from the other city and also the portion of my housing that wasn't covered by my employer, particularly because it wasn't long enough to actually move (I actually maintained my residence in my home city). Can I deduct all the mileage related to work while in the "new" city, since my primary place of business was in my home city or do I have to designate one of the "new" hospitals as my primary place of business during my fellowship? Also, can I get away with not filing a state return where I did this mini-fellowship (4-months)?

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Here's the rules. Deductible mileage includes driving between job sites, driving between your home to a temporary job site, and driving to conferences, meetings, and interviews.

Non-deductible mileage includes driving from your home to a regular job site.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I was wondering what your input regarding this matter is. We have discussed this on chat but was wondering what the best approach would be.

I am a fellow in training and am scheduled to work at the hospital a certain # of shifts a month. For this I receive a set salary. During the years of my fellowship I am suppose to go to other hospitals in the area to work as well.

In addition, I moonlight extra hours as an attending at surrounding urgent care centers and have to drive there as well, sometimes from the hospital and other times directly from home. Other times I moonlight extra hours to cover shifts unfilled at the emergency departement I work.

I also drive to my regular hospital for grand rounds, meetings and lectures which are and are not required.

To sum it all up, I am intersted to find out what travel expenses I am allowed to deduct from what i described to you above.

I am aware that I can not deduct to and from the hospital for my scheduled shifts. But after that I am a little confused.

Thank you

Zip Code: ronmbmd@houston.rr.com