Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
MILITARY & TAXES

MILITARY & TAXES

Though I have not lived in MD for over 6 years, I do have MD as my "home of record" since my parents live there. I do not own any property in MD or maintain any domicile there. I have been paying MD income taxes since the age of 18. Is this correct? I know Pennsylvania reimburses soldiers with this problem.

THank you,

J Westfield

Zip Code: jayna.westfield@HOOD.ARMY.MIL

Re: MILITARY & TAXES

Maryland still wants their piece of your earnings! You are subject to Maryland taxes until you declare with the military another state as your official state of residence. Maryland will reduce your taxable income up to $15,000 if you served OVERSEAS while on active duty. That's the only break they will give you.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

MILITARY & TAXES

Though I have not lived in MD for over 6 years, I do have MD as my "home of record" since my parents live there. I do not own any property in MD or maintain any domicile there. I have been paying MD income taxes since the age of 18. Is this correct? I know Pennsylvania reimburses soldiers with this problem.

THank you,

J Westfield