Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Is charitable contribution of value of services provided deductible?

>Earlier this year I donated a bilateral LASIK surgical procedure to my daughters' school for a fund-raiser. The group received non-profit status. The value of the donated service was $4850. It went for $3000 at the auction. What paperwork do I need from the group to be able to deduct this donation?

Unfortunately, you are not allowed to deduct as a charitable contribution "the value of your time or services" provided to a charitable organization. Per Revenue Ruling 67-246, "To be deductible as a charitable contribution for federal income tax purposes...there must be, among other requirements, a payment of money or transfer of property without adequate consideration."

However, any out-of-pocket expenses you may have incurred in providing these services to the qualified organization would be deductible; provided they are not reimbursed, and that they are directly connected to the services. Thus, any costs you actually incurred to provide the surgical procedure (i.e. - auto expenses, parking, cost of an assistant, etc.) would qualify as a deductible charitable contribution.

Zip Code: rss@mdtaxes.com