Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: soc sec statement

Wow. That's the first I heard of this happening.

I think your first step should be to contact a local social security office and ask them why your most recent statement shows that you received no credit for social security taxes paid during the previous three years. Generally speaking, the Social Security Administration (SSA) is pretty helpful and should be able to give you an adequate answer.

I would also make copies of your W-2s from those years and keep them with your social security statement, so you'll know where to find them in the event you don't receive a refund of your social security taxes for any or all of those years. That way, you'll have the information available to demonstrate to the SSA that you should have been credited for the taxes you paid into the system for each of the years that the taxes weren't refunded to you.

Let us know if you end up receiving a refund of your social security taxes.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I am one of those many people waiting for the IRS to figure out what they're going to do about the FICA fiasco. Recently, I received my latest social security statement and it shows that I have not paid into the system only on those years for which I filed amended returns (1998, 1999, 2000). Do you think this means they are going to actually be sending my refund soon?

Zip Code: cpa@mdtaxes.com