Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: State taxes

You'll need to file tax returns in both states as a part-year resident of each state. You'll report to NY all of the income you earned the first part of the year, and then report to OH all of the income you earned subsequent to your move. Each state has specific rules of how part-year residents should file their tax returns.

In certain instances, you may not give up your residence in your home state. In that case, you'd file your OH return as a non-resident, only reporting the income earned in that state. You'd then report all of your income to NY, and take a credit on that tax return for taxes paid to OH. But if you're moving to OH for an extended period of time, you'll probably file as a part-year resident of both states.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

How do I file my state taxes?

From jan to june i worked in Ny and paid state taxes there. Since July 1st I have been working in Ohio and will be livinghere for the next few years. How do I go about filing my state taxes? Thank you

Zip Code: cpa@mdtaxes.com