Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: No Subject

To find out the maximum you can contribute to your 403(b), contact your employer's benefits department or find out who is administering the plan and give them a call. The retirement plan rules changed dramatically effective 1/1/02, and you're probably allowed to contribute $11,000 into your 403(b) plan this year.

Also, in addition to your 403(b) plan contributions, you can contribute $3,000 to your Roth, as long as you earn less than $95,000 if you're single or $150,000 if you're married. (A single person can earn up to $110,000 and a married couple can earn up to $160,000 and make a partial Roth contribution.)

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

If my salary for 2002 is 50000 and I receive a pension of 10% of my salary, which is 5000$ a year, can i still contribute the max of an additonal 11,000$ to my 403b plan.

Also, in addition to my 403b can i contribute the additional 3000$ towards a roth or traditional IRA?

Thank you

Zip Code: cpa@mdtaxes.com

Re: Re: No Subject

can i contribute 3000$ to a traditional IRA instead of the ROth?

Replying to:

To find out the maximum you can contribute to your 403(b), contact your employer's benefits department or find out who is administering the plan and give them a call. The retirement plan rules changed dramatically effective 1/1/02, and you're probably allowed to contribute $11,000 into your 403(b) plan this year.

Also, in addition to your 403(b) plan contributions, you can contribute $3,000 to your Roth, as long as you earn less than $95,000 if you're single or $150,000 if you're married. (A single person can earn up to $110,000 and a married couple can earn up to $160,000 and make a partial Roth contribution.)

Replying to:

If my salary for 2002 is 50000 and I receive a pension of 10% of my salary, which is 5000$ a year, can i still contribute the max of an additonal 11,000$ to my 403b plan.

Also, in addition to my 403b can i contribute the additional 3000$ towards a roth or traditional IRA?

Thank you

Zip Code: agormd@aol.com

Re: Re: Re: 403(b) & Roth IRAs

Yes, but why would you?

In most cases, if you're covered under a retirement plan at work, you're not entitled to make a deductible contribution to a traditional IRA. So you have the choice of making a non-deductible contribution to a traditional IRA that grows tax-deferred (meaning you pay taxes on the earnings when you take distributions), or a non-deductible contribution to a Roth IRA that grows tax-free. Why forego the tax-free growth of a Roth if you don't get a tax deduction today.

Keep in mind that the rules governing IRAs are pretty complicated. If your adjusted gross income (AGI) is low enough, (less than $44,000 if you're single or $64,000 if you're married) you can make deductible IRA contributions even if you're covered under a retirement plan at work. And that threshold increases each year.

And if you're single and your AGI exceeds $110,000 or married and your combined AGI exceeds $160,000, you not entitled to contribute to a Roth that year.

Replying to:

can i contribute 3000$ to a traditional IRA instead of the ROth?

Replying to:

Replying to:

Thank you

Zip Code: cpa@mdtaxes.com