Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: Corporation

I agree with Jim Boyle re: the use of the C-corp. A number of times clients have asked me why they don't have an S-corp. I throw the question back: Why do think an S-corp would be advantageous to you? The answer is usually something like..."well, the gal at the bank thought it would be a good idea"...or..."gee, the dentist down the hall from me has one!" They usually don't have a clue.

Another compelling factor that I explain VERY VERY carefully is the taxability of any residual S-corp income, whether the shareholders can get their hands on it or not. That usually sobers them up in a hurry.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I am finishing my residency in June 2002 and will be working as part of two groups and billing under their tax id numbers, etc. Which would benefit me more: a Limited Liability Practitioner or S-Corporation and why? Thank you for your response!

Zip Code: cookie@velocity.net