Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: Simple IRAs

Believe it or not, it does sound right to me. With a Simple IRA, if you earn at least $7,000 in net moonlighting income as an independent contractor, you can contribute $7,000 into a Simple IRA for the year. The only catch is your combined contributions into your Simple IRA and 401(k)/403(b) accounts for the year can't exceed $11,000 (assumining you're under the age of 50). Contributions made on your behalf by your employer don't count towards the $11,000 maximum.

Keep in mind that the amount you can contribute is reduced by the expenses you claim against your self-employment income. For example, if you earn $7,000 as an independent contractor, and have $3,000 in professional expenses to claim against that income, you could only contribute about

$4,000 to your Simple.

For someone in your position, a Simple IRA is a great way for you to maximize your retirement plan contributions this year.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I have $6600 in independent moonlighting income for 2002. I'm told by my investment company that I can contribute 100% of this into a simple IRA, as long as my Simple IRA + 401K contributions don't exceed $11,000 for the year, which they won't. I recently switched jobs and cannot contribute to my new company's 401K this year, but did contribute with my old job for the first 6 months of 2002. Does this sound right?

Zip Code: cpa@mdtaxes.com