Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Deducting the 6 week course in DC

We have many clients who go to Washington DC each year, and you better believe that we write-off the cost of that 6 week trip. We deduct the cost of getting to and from DC, the cost of the hotel, and a per diem for food of $46 per day (which is half deductible).

The problem is that you don't itemize your deductions. In your case, the only way you could get a tax break for these expenses is to claim them against your moonlighting income on your Schedule C. Whether you can deduct these expenses on your Schedule C depends on how much you will earn moonlighting, what other expenses you have to claim against your moonlighting income, and how aggressive you want to be with your taxes.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I have been moonlighting as an independent contractor and I am soon going to attend a 6 week radiologic-pathology course in D.C. very soon. Since this is purely an educational trip, is the entire 6 week lodging in the hotel, the travel to and from DC, and the meals deducitble on my Schedule C (I can't itemize my personal deductions).

Zip Code: cpa@mdtaxes.com