Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: Immigration Fees...tax deductible?

My understanding of the rules is that legal fees incurred in connection with applying for a work-related visa are deductible as a professional expense, but fees paid in connection with obtaining permanent residency or citizenship, which are more personal in nature, aren't deductible.

Please let us know if you have heard or read otherwise.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Im a non-US citizen Resident currently on a temporary work visa in the process of applying for a permanent one. However it involves using an immigration lawyer. Im wondering if the cost of hiring an immigration lawyer is deductible as a business expense or something similar?

Zip Code: cpa@mdtaxes.com

Re: Re: Immigration Fees...tax deductible?

I agree with your statement. About 15 years ago I claimed a deduction for the fees paid to a lawyer for changing my status from H1 to Permanent Resident. That year I happened to be audited by the IRS, and that was the only item that was disallowed, and had to pay back taxes.

FT

Replying to:

My understanding of the rules is that legal fees incurred in connection with applying for a work-related visa are deductible as a professional expense, but fees paid in connection with obtaining permanent residency or citizenship, which are more personal in nature, aren't deductible.

Please let us know if you have heard or read otherwise.

Replying to:

Im a non-US citizen Resident currently on a temporary work visa in the process of applying for a permanent one. However it involves using an immigration lawyer. Im wondering if the cost of hiring an immigration lawyer is deductible as a business expense or something similar?

Zip Code: ftausk@jhmi.edu