Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
tuition deductable during residency?

I am an oral and maxillofacial surgery resident, which means that I have completed 4 years of dental school and now my residency program is six years in length, 2 of which I am a full-time medical student (without salary) and will receive a medical degree.

Can I fully deduct the tuition cost of the medical education as an itemized miscellaneous deduction? I believe that technically, it passes all of the tests (although it qualifies me for a new profession [medicine vs. dentistry], I must receive the degree to continue in my program, therefore it is a job requirement).

Zip Code: rm910@columbia.edu

Re: tuition deductable during residency?

To be deductible, educational expenses must enhance your skills in your current profession. If the course of study qualifies you for a new trade or business, then you can't deduct the cost of the education.

Here's what we've seen with our clients. Dentists studying a dental specialty such as endodontics or orthodontics generally deduct the cost of that education, since a practicing dentist is allowed to deduct the cost of studying a speciality. However, a nurse who studies to become a nurse practitioner is not allowed to deduct the cost of that education.

So, I guess you need to figure out whether your studies will qualify you for a new trade or business, or enhance your skills in your current trade or business.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I am an oral and maxillofacial surgery resident, which means that I have completed 4 years of dental school and now my residency program is six years in length, 2 of which I am a full-time medical student (without salary) and will receive a medical degree.

Can I fully deduct the tuition cost of the medical education as an itemized miscellaneous deduction? I believe that technically, it passes all of the tests (although it qualifies me for a new profession [medicine vs. dentistry], I must receive the degree to continue in my program, therefore it is a job requirement).

Zip Code: cpa@mdtaxes.com

Re: Re: tuition deductable during residency?

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I believe that the medical school tuition does qualify for deduction, as it is a requirement of my current job, and will improve upon skills in my current profession. Oral and maxillofacial surgery is a dental specialty, not a medical specialty, therefore the medical degree doesn't qualify me for any new profession (technically, I would have to undergo additional medical residency training to practice medicine with a license).

Zip Code: rm910@columbia.edu