Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gifts Received

My father is going to gift 11,000.00 per year to myself, my wife, and my son(12 yrs old) and I am wondering is this taxable on my end as income?

Zip Code: Anonymous

Re: Gifts Received

Gifts are not generally considered income to the recipient. Instead, if your father makes a gift to you and your family in excess of the $11,000 per person per year limitation, he would be subject to the "Gift Tax", and would need to have a discussion with his CPA about how that would impact his financial situation.

When you receive a gift, if the gift you receive is appreciated property instead of cash, you might be subject to taxes at such time that you sell the property. In this situation, the gain is based on the price at which your father acquired the property, not at its value when you received it.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

My father is going to gift 11,000.00 per year to myself, my wife, and my son(12 yrs old) and I am wondering is this taxable on my end as income?

Zip Code: cpa@mdtaxes.com