Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: No 401k for the 1st year

Ben-

As an employee, you would be eligible to contribute up to $4,000 to a Traditional IRA. If you are married, you could contribute an additional $4,000 for your wife. FYI, you can still make a contribution for 2005 (until April 15th) if you want.

Depending upon your incomes and if you (or your wife) were/are covered by a pension plan, you may or may not be eligible to take an income tax-deduction.

I would need more specifics to best advise you. Additionally, if you did any moonlighting and were paid on a 1099, you could also consider contributing to a SEP.

Hope this helps.

Larry

Zip Code: Lkeller@physicianfinancialservices.com

Re: Re: No 401k for the 1st year

Larry,

I do not have other pension plan. My wife worked about 6 months in 2005. She participated in a 401k plan while she was working. Our joint AGI is about 200K minus some deduction of mortgage interests, school tax, etc.. Will I subject to a phase-out for the IRA deduction because my spouse was an active participant for part of a plan year and our AGI is high? Thanks again.

Ben

Zip Code: liu-7@medctr.osu.edu

Re: Re: Re: No 401k for the 1st year

If your spouse was a participant in a retirement plan during the year, and your combined AGI exceeds $160k, then you won't be able to make a deductible contribution to an IRA this year. Don't forget, AGI is your income BEFORE itemized deductions.

You can still make a non-deductible IRA contribution of up to $4k this year. Even though you don't get a current tax break, the income does grow tax-deferred. If you have the extra money, it's a great place to invest $4k.

Hopefully this year you'll have access to a 401k plan or some other retirement plan at your job.

Zip Code: aschwartz@mdtaxes.com