Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tuition and Fees reduction

I received my bachelors degree in May 2005, and only attended classes full time in the spring semester. I consolidated my loans and received the 1098-E for the interest on the loan. The 1098-T form from the college left box 1 empty and box 2 at .00 and acknowleded in box 8 that I was at least half-time student. The loans were dispersed Jan 19, 2005. Why did my Institution not report these payments?

Zip Code: elisherman@yahoo.com

Re: Tuition and Fees reduction

The 1099-T can be pretty misleading, since it usually doesn't incude a heck of a lot of information on it. My understanding is that the education institution only needs to indicate that you were enrolled during the year, and whether you were at least a half-time student.

If you got that form, you're eligible to claim the Lifetime Learning credit of up to $2,000 based on the tuition paid during the calendar year. The allowable credit can offset a portion of the taxes you owe on the income you earned since graduating.

Check out IRS Publication 970, or Form 8863 (along with instructions), available at www.irs.gov.

Zip Code: cpa@mdtaxes.com