Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Injured spouse

Injured Spouse? I filed taxes with my husband and he had no income this past year. He was on Workers Comp the whole year. The IRS intercepted my taxes and now I have to file Injured Spouse claim to get some or all of it back eventually! Do you all know when that would be possible to get it back and any shortcuts to getting it back as soon as possible.
Please let me know. Thanks from Tallahassee FLorida.

Zip Code: billieflowers@yahoo.com

Re: Injured spouse

According to the IRS at www.irs.gov:

Innocent Spouse Tax Relief Eligibility

All the facts and circumstances are considered in determining whether it's inequitable to hold you liable for your spouse's tax liability. Some of the factors considered include:

The taxes owed are your spouse's or ex-spouse's.
You are no longer married to that spouse.
You thought your spouse would pay the taxes on the original return.
You didn't know about the items changed in the audit.
You would suffer a financial hardship if you were required to pay the tax. You would not be able to pay for basic living expenses like food, shelter, and clothing.
You did not significantly benefit (above normal support) from the unpaid taxes.
You suffered abuse during your marriage.

If you believe that your situation meets the above requirements:

You may be qualified for relief. If you desire a formal determination, you must file Form 8857 with the Internal Revenue Service. Additional information is contained in IRS Publication 971.

Zip Code: cpa@mdtaxes.com