Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
children and taxes

My children, 15 and 16 have a prt time job, they have probably only made about 800-900 dollars each, how do I or do I need to include them on our taxes or should they file on their own

Zip Code: LKmeadows@peoplepc.com

Re: children and taxes

Once your child reaches the age of 14, they can no longer be included on your tax return.

For 2005, a single person can earn up to $5,000 in wages before being required to file a tax return, assuming they have no additional sources of income (such as bank interest or mutual fund distributions.)

If your child earns less than $5,000, he or she might still benefit by filing tax returns if they had federal or state taxes withheld, since they would be entitled to a refund of those taxes.

If you child is a good saver, why not contribute the amount of gross wages refleced on the W-2 into a Roth IRA? Fifty plus years of tax-free growth can't be beat.

Zip Code: cpa@mdtaxes.com