Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
medical billing advice

I am looking to outsource my medical billing. Any advice?

Thank you,
Oliver

Zip Code: docolie@yahoo.com

Re: medical billing advice

Finding a quality company to handle your medical billing is an important decision to many practicing physicians. You want to find a billing company that has processes in place to collect what is owed to you, and to provide you with up-to-date access to your billing and collection information.

Check out www.mdtaxes.com/billing for information about Billing Depot, a medical billing company endorsed by us.

Zip Code: aschwartz@mdtaxes.com

Re: Re: medical billing advice

Thank you for quick reply.

Does Billing Depot follow up on all unpaid claims?

Some outsourced billers just submit claims and do not follow up on unpaid claims because it is too much work. A single biller could probably handle 10 or more docs if all she does is sending claims to payers. So instead of following up on my claims she signs up new docs. I end up paying billing service fees for claims that get paid anyway and still get nothing on many of my claims. That's how we ended up doing our own billing. But now our biller has moved and I need a better solution...

Let me know your thoughts.

Thank you,
Oliver

Zip Code: docolie@yahoo.com

Re: Re: Re: medical billing advice

Dr. Lear,

This is a frequent concern based on an assumption that bringing a new client is easier than getting all the claims paid. To avoid such a situation, you should be looking for service provider with:

a) Proven results - Ask the vendor: what is your % of AR beyond 120 days? The national average is 17.7%. Billing Depot has it below 5%. Such an improvement would not be possible without doing all the required follow up proactively and aggressively.

b) Transparency - Does the vendor provide 24x7 access to precise and complete account information? Is there an audit trail available for each claim? Without transparency, there is no way you can keep on top of them effectively.

c) Individual Monitoring - Can you monitor your vendor's progress on a DAILY basis against individual benchmarks? Without such monitoring, you have to wait to the end of the month to identify problems...

While outsourced billing service offers multiple benefits over in-house billing, selection of a billing service provider is not easy. A CPA specializing in medical practice accounting will recommend the best billing service for you.

Zip Code: anthony@billingdepot.com