Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Independent contractor income

Thank you for this great service. A colleague pays me by check each month to schedule physicians for a moonlighting service. What is the most tax efficient way to declare this income, assuming I am hit with the AMT?

Zip Code: kyu2@mail.med.upenn.edu

Re: Independent contractor income

I don't see how the AMT should affect how you report this income.

Assuming you're paid with no taxes withheld, you'll report this income on a Schedule C. You'll get to deduct your applicable professional expenses directly against that income. You might also qualify to claim the home office deduction.

By claiming your expenses on the Schedule C, you might actually limit the impact of the AMT. That's because unlike expenses claimed on a Schedule C, items reported as a Miscellaneous Itemized deduction are backed out when calculating the AMT.

Zip Code: aschwartz@mdtaxes.com

Re: Re: Independent contractor income

Thanks a lot for the great advice.

Zip Code: kyu2@mail.med.upenn.edu