Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Expiring stock options

I have some stock options expiring in January 2006 that are completely out of the money and will most likely expire worthless. I have capital gains in 2005 that I would like to offset against these options. I'm told that if there is no market "bid" for the options then its not possible to close my postion prior to year end to take advantage of the loss. Do you know of any way to sell these options in 2005 or close my position to liquid prior to year end 2005 Thank you for your help in this matter.

Zip Code: petejazz2005@hotmail.com

Re: Expiring stock options

In my experience with worthless securities, I have found that the financial institution has been willing to buy my worthless securities for $1 to clear them off my account, and allow me to take a loss. Unfortunately, I've had a few stocks tank in my day.

I would recommend contacting your broker or the customer service department from the financial institution where these options are being held. If they aren't willing to give you a buck for your options, maybe they have another solution for you.

Zip Code: aschwartz@mdtaxes.com