Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Moonlighting expenses

Thanks for the reply!

For the job that is 90 miles away, I usually drive in the night before, stay at a hotel, work all day, stay at the same hotel, work the next day, then drive back home. From the time I leave my house Friday evening to the time I get back is about 48 hours. The per diem rate for the city I go to is about $80; this only covers the hotel expenses. How much can I claim for meals per day? Also, I assume mileage is deductible as well.

As far as paying my colleagues, do I have to issue 1099's if I don't exceed the $600 limit? Also, do I need to get their SSN and other information for the forms (I have "hired" 4 people to cover my ordinary and necessary shifts).

Thanks in advance for your response.

Zip Code: godbem@health.missouri.edu

Re: Re: Re: Moonlighting expenses

The per diem rate, which is the allowance for meals and incidentals, varies by city. You can find a listing of all the per diem rates in the continental US at www.policyworks.gov/perdiem.

With respect to issuing 1099's, you only need to issue them to people who recieve more than $600 from you during a calendar year. And yes, you would need their social security number to issue a 1099. It's a good idea to have them complete a Form W-9 before you pay them. You can download that form at www.irs.gov.

Zip Code: aschwartz@mdtaxes.com

Re: Re: Re: Re: Moonlighting expenses

So, if I don't pay them more than $600, I can deduct it (per person) and they don't have to claim it?

Thanks

Zip Code: godbem@health.missouri.edu

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Moonlighting expenses

Yes, you can deduct the amount you pay to your subs, and you don't need to issue a 1099-Misc to anyone who receives less than $600 from you. Whether or not they report that income on their tax return is their issue.

Zip Code: aschwartz@mdtaxes.com