Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
403b and Roth IRA

Hello,

Since it's near the years end, I wish to fully allocate my retirement income. I have both a 403b from my employer and I have my own roth IRA via an online brokerage house.

Question 1. Can I contribute maximally to both the 403b and roth IRA? My income for hte year will be b/t $95k-110,000.

Also,Question 2. can I contribute to my wifes Roth IRA (who has not been working this year and has no income)

Re: 403b and Roth IRA

In any year, you can max out your contributions into your 403(b) at work, and can still max out your contributions to your Roth as well.

One catch is that your income must be low enough to enable you to contribute to a Roth IRA. If you're married, the phase-out is for "modified adjusted gross income" MAGI) of between $150,000 and $160,000. The phaseout for single individuals is between $95,000 and $110,000. And remember, amounts contributed to your 403(b) reduce your MAGI.

You indicated that your income won't exceed $110,000. Based on that info, you and your wife can each contribute $4,000 into your Roth IRAs in addition to the $14,000 you will contribute into your 403(b) account at work. (As long as one of you earns $8,000, you can each contribute the full amount into a Roth IRA, subject to income limitations.)

Contratulations on saving $22,000 into these tax-advantaged retirement accounts this year.

Zip Code: aschwartz@mdtaxes.com