Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
fellowship tax info

Hi

I am a medical fellow in California, and would like to know how can I reduce my taxes. can I itemize evrything that I spend in a year?

Please help me since with this salary it is very hard to liveon>

Thank you

Daniel

Zip Code: dre2677@yahoo.com

Re: fellowship tax info

One way to cut your taxes is to deduct all of your unreimbursed professional expenses as a miscellaneous itemized deduction. On our home page (www.mdtaxes.com), we have links to some tools that will help you gather this information.

Other ways to cut taxes is to contribute to your employer sponsored 401(k) or 403(b) plan, but you will only save a $.35 or so for each dollar contributed.

It's also a good move to own where you live. But there are a lot of variables to consider, such as how long you will be in the area, how much mortgage debt you can take on, and whether you have any money available for a down payment.

Trying to live in California on a Fellow's salary would be tough even if you had no taxes to pay. Hopefully you're almost done with your training, and will be getting a big increase in salary at that time.

Zip Code: cpa@mdtaxes.com