Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Temporary Assignement Deduction

My permanent residence while in Medical School was in Washington.
Currently I am a resident in Missouri for 1 year as a transitional resident.
I will move to another state to complete my residency.
Am I allowed to deduct my rent/meals etc for "temporary assignment" during my internship year?

Zip Code: fjm_do@hotmail.com

Re: Temporary Assignement Deduction

My understanding of the rules is that your year of internship doesn't qualify as a temporary job assignment, since your internship is your first job. To qualify for the temporary job assignment deduction, you need to be working in one city, then take a job assignment in a second city for a year or less, and be able to show that you intend to return to the first city.

Keep in mind that if you move more than 50 miles to start your internship, you can deduct the cost of the move. And if you paid any tuition and fees during 2005, you'll probably qualify for the life-time learning credit of up to $2,000 this year.

Zip Code: cpa@mdtaxes.com