Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
moonlighting

my wife and i are both mds and both moonlight at the same offsite hospital. i understand that i must report this as self-employment and be taxed the SE tax under provisions of the 1099MISC listing of nonemployee compensation.

my question relates to: is it necessary for each of us to individually list the job as two separate "self-owned business" OR can i list myself as the single business owner and have her listed under MY business ownership OR can we form a "partnership" for the shared ownership.

it is probably worth mentioning that i made a substantially larger income than she with the moonlighting job.

your assistance is very much appreciated

Zip Code: edward.frech@hsc.utah.edu

Re: moonlighting

Unfortunately, you and your wife must each prepare your own Schedule C, reporting your respective moonlighting income and claiming whatever expenses you'll claim against that income. You'll also need to complete a Schedule SE for you and another Schedule SE for her - calculating the Self-employment Taxes due on your moonlighting.

It appears that you're over the social security max of $87,900 and your wife is not. One way to reduce your combined self-employment taxes is to claim whatever expenses you can, such as the home office or the purchase of a computer, on her Schedule C.

Zip Code: cpa@mdtaxes.com