Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
audit safety

If I've already received a refund does that mean the IRS will not audit me this year? If not, when can one be assured they are not going to be selected for an IRS audit? If receipt of a refund is an indicator, what about people who owe additional taxes with their return?

RB

Zip Code: ronmbmd@houston.rr.com

Re: audit safety

Receipt of a refund is not an indicator that your return will not be audited. Generally, the IRS has a three year period from the due date to start an audit so you are not out of the woods until April 15, 2008. If you omit from gross income items totalling 25% of gross income, then a six year period applies.
Call me if you have any further questions.
Hub Hawthorn, CPA
713-439-0099

Zip Code: hfh@hfhcpa.com