Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Compensation to shareholder of S corp

Hi,
How much is the reasonable compensation for S-corp shareholder. I started Dentist Practice in Anu-04 and I with my husband are the only shareholder in S Corp.
In the first year I have about 30k of loss and I am expecting to break even or make a marginal profit in 2005.
How much do you think should be the Compensation payable to me in 2004 and 2005
Also if you can give me some idea about th e future years when the practice will be Profitable.

Re: Compensation to shareholder of S corp

How much you should pay yourself depends on a variety of factors, including what area of the country you are in, how much of the earnings of the company you generate vs. other employees, the profit of the company, and others.

However, if the company is losing money, you should be able to pay yourselves very modest, or even no salary. The IRS's concern is where there is a significant corporate profit and the shareholder salaries are very low.

What you pay yourselves once you're profitable will depend. The ADA probably has some statistics on salaries that would give you some idea of how pay yourselves. If the practice is marginally profitable (before your salaries), then modest salaries would be in order. If the practice is wildly profitable due to your and your husband's efforts, then significant salaries would be in order.

Gary

Zip Code: garyd@davisandbrandel.com