Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
deducting temporary work travel expenses

I am a geriatric fellow out of Boston University Medical Center. Most of my time is spent at Boston Medical Center. However, I have to spend a total of 5 months at a Veteran's Admin Hospital approximentely 25 miles away. Luckily, my home is in the middle of these 2 locations. However it's still 25 miles in either direction. I travel directly from my home to the VA or BMC depedning on the schedule. During the blocks I'm at the VA, I spend 2.5 days there a week so my miles rack up pretty quickly. Can I deduct/depreciate those miles to the VA since it is a temporary rotation/work place?

Also, if I never kept track of the exact odometer readings for each trip, can I give a retroactive best estimate of those miles.

Also, while moving, can I depreciate/deduct those miles separate from my moving cost deduction?

Finally, for all the above to apply, does the vehicle's title have to be in my name even though I am the primary user. It's still in my fathers name.

Thanks A lot. Your site is wonderful.

Zip Code: drashish@comcast.net