Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
retirement planning...

Hi,

I'm a physician who just got out of residency earlier this year. I have contributing to an ERISA qualified plan (457) and am continuing to do so in my new job (same plan) up to the max ($13000). My wife is a 2nd year resident is is also contributing to a 403b plan (maxed out as well). We both are also planning to max out our Roths this year as our MAGI will probably be less than $150k. I did some moonlighting on the side as well this year and earned a relatively small amount of income (around $6k). My question is .... can I open a SEP IRA and contribute 25% of the moonlighting income to that IRA? or does contributing to either of the ERISA qual plans/Roth IRAs preclude me from doing so? My 2nd question is ... if I am eligible, then would I be able to contribute 20% or 25% ....(Note: the "moonlighting" was during residency and SS/Medicare/Federal/State were withheld). Thanks for any replies - Rav

Zip Code: rav77us@yahoo.com

Re: retirement planning...

Generally, if you moonlight, you can sock away up to 20% of your net moonlighting income into a SEP - even if you are already maxing out your employer sponsored 403(b) plan and 457 plans, and your IRAs.

There is a catch. You can only contribute to a SEP based on your net independent contractor income. So if you're being compensated as an employee, you can't contribute to a SEP IRA on that income.

It seems like you're doing a great job saving for your retirement. Keep up the good work!

Zip Code: cpa@mdtaxes.com