Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: soleproprietorship vs S-Corp vs C-Corp

At a minimum, I would consider an entity called a Limited Liability Company (LLC). LLC's offer a level of protection to your personal assets (non-practice assets) that is provided by incorporating. (Beware that, generally, professionals are always fully exposed for their own malpractice claims -- be sure to consult an attorney on this issue). Because LLC's are not "corporations", you are spared some of the administrative burden required by corporations.

Except in really rare cases, I never recommend "C" corporations -- and never would use a non-incorporated "sole proprietorship".

S-Corporations can be very advantageous and I prefer them for numerous reasons. But, they are real corporations -- only, any profits remaining (after a salary to the owner) are reported and taxed to the "stockholder/owner".

There are too many details to discuss here and you really should seek face-to-face professional consultation.

Lonnie Hardy,CPA

Zip Code: lonnie@jameshardy.com

Re: Re: soleproprietorship vs S-Corp vs C-Corp

thank you for your suggestions. I do appreciate them

Zip Code: mille125@mc.duke.edu

Re: soleproprietorship vs S-Corp vs C-Corp

I don't know the rules in the state you are in, but I am starting a small cleaning business and found out after paying for fictitious name, city and county licenses that I had to be incorporated in order to apply for workers comp exemption. Workers comp is expensive and not needed for three employees or less in this state though I realize that I am responsible for any accidents on the job.

Zip Code: aokcleaning@aol.com