Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Transitional intern = temporary assignment deduction?

Hello,

First, thanks to those who answer the questions on this forum... it has been a great help. I have a question that I couldn't find the answer to...

I graduated medical school in 2003 in California and am under contract to return to California to start radiology residency in July 2004. However, for the interim year I am working as a transitional intern in New York.

A friend in a similar situation has an accountant who deducted rent and food for the the time period he was away for internship, claiming it as a temporary job assignment. It does seem to meet the requirements of being for a specific length of time; that time is one year or less; and I intend to return to my original home once the temporary assignment is completed.

Is this deduction legitimate? It sure would save me a lot of money.

Thanks for your expertise.

Re: Transitional intern = temporary assignment deduction?

I would say that you're not entitled to this deduction. That's because your first job is in NY.

If you were working in CA, then worked for a year or less in NY, with the intent of returning to CA, then all of your travel, lodging, and 50% of your meals would be deductible.

Zip Code: cpa@mdtaxes.com