Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Where to deduct job related expenses.

Hi,
I'm in the middle of my first year of residency in Ophthalmology. I have expenses of about $2500 for instruments, $950 for books and $200 for travel for a short course.
I can see these will go on Sch A,(Itemized deductions) line 20 and thatthe amount over 2% of AGI is deductible. But as I don't have anything else to itemize (except state taxes) my entire itemized deductions come to only about $500 over the standard deduction. Is there any other way to deduct the above items? Thank you very much. I appreciate your help.

Zip Code: azniv2001@yahoo.com

Re: Where to deduct job related expenses.

You've correctly identified where Unreimbursed Employee Business (Form 2106) expenses go.

If you also moonlight, you can allocate your expenses between Schedule A, as Unreimbursed Employee Business expenses, and Schedule C. If there are expenses you can specifically identify as relating to your moonlighting, you could deduct them 100% on Schedule C.

If you're not moonlighting, you've got the expenses in the correct place.

Zip Code: garyd@davisandbrandel.com