Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Does Constructive Receipt apply?

I was participating in an unqualified funded pension (deferred income) plan wih a company that I separated from in November of 2002. Monies had gone into the fund (basically pension fund made of mutual funds managed by a large investment house) pre federal and state tax, but FICA and FUTA were paid at the time income was earned.

At that time I quit the company, I was forced to either take a lump sum of the monies available on that day or to leave it in the fund with a lot of restrictions. If it was left in the fund, it was required that I accept unequal distributions (depending on the value of mutual fund at distribution time) once a year over a period of 8 years. With the distribution option, I had no control over the investment nor access to any funds in the account other than what was distributed.

I opted for the distribution over a period of 8 years and received my first distribution in Novemeber 2003.

My tax question is whether I have to apply constructive receipt (on value of fund at separation from company in Nov 2002) or do I just claim the income when received each year?

Zip Code: capitalstockcash2@yahoo.com