Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Original MDTAXES Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
incorporation necessary to take "hummer deduction"

I am a resident who has started moonlighting. I want to purchase a new SUV this up coming year (2004) and want to know if I have to incorporate myself (make my own moonlighting company) in order to take advantage of the new "hummer deduction" for the new SUV I want to purchase. I drive extensively to my moonlighting jobs and thus at least 60% of my vehicle use is for business. If I do not have to incorporate myself, then do I list the deduction in the same way as those for my computer, journal subscriptions, etc. Thank you for your help!

Zip Code: jsuliburk@yahoo.com

Re: incorporation necessary to take "hummer deduction"

As a general rule, anything that's deductible to a corporation is deductible to a sole proprietor as well. For that reason, as long as more than 50% of the miles driven are allowable business miles, then you can write off that percentage of the cost of an SUV with a gross loaded weight in excess of 6,000 pounds.

Keep in mind that commuting from your home to a regular place of business is not allowable mileage. Only driving between job sites and driving to temporary job sites counts.

Plus, you need to make sure that you drive the SUV more than 50% for business during each of the next five years. Otherwise, you'll need to "recapture" some of the depreciation you claimed, and pay taxes on the difference between the deduction you claimed this year, and what you would have been allowed to claim if you depreciated the vehicle ratably over five years.

Zip Code: cpa@mdtaxes.com