Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Medical Resident FICA Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Losing out on Social Security Disability Benefit

I had a client ask whether getting the FICA refund might impact her ability to collect the Social Security Disability Benefit down the road. So I went to www.ssa.gov, and here's what I found:

The number of work credits you need to qualify for disability benefits depends on your age when you
become disabled. Generally, you need 40 credits, 20 of which were earned during the last 10 years ending with the year you became disabled.

(One credit equals one quarter of work. For 2010, you earn one credit for each $1,120 of FICA wages or self-employment income earned.)

Zip Code: 01801