Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Medical Resident FICA Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Equal Treatment for Residents

I am currently a resident in year 6 out of 7. I am also the chair of the Resident Council at our institution. We have been following the medical resident FICA issue closely. At the University of Oklahoma residents are subjected to FICA withholding just as every other state employee.

We are included in the same medical benefits as well. However, when it comes to retirement, we are not eligible for the same benefits as every other employee. I can understand that if we were considered students, that we could be ineligible. However, the courts seem to agree that we are to be treated as employees.

I am not an expert on the laws that apply in this situation. It just seems to me that we are getting taken advantage of in one way or the other.

Is there any advice that you have for us in pressing for equal treatment?

Zip Code: 73104