Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Practice Issues
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Independent Contractor/Partnership Expenses

Hi Andrew,

I have one quick question...I believe that in general, all companies except for corporations need to be issued 1099s for payments over $600. Therefore, would I need to issue 1099s to the billing/collections company and medical group (for the overhead and buy-in fees) discussed above? Once again, any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Zip Code: 75041

Re: Independent Contractor/Partnership Expenses

The rules require that you issue 1099s to any unincorporated business that you pay more than $600. It's my understanding that includes LLCs as well.

You also need to issue 1099s to certain corporations including law firms and healthcare providers. The 1099-Misc rules can be found here:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1099msc.pdf.

If you want my firm to help you out with this, we'd be happy to do so. Our fee is $75 for the first 1099, and $10 for each additonal 1099. You can contact me through the MDTAXES site.

Zip Code: 01801