Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Automobile Expenses
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
auto expense from home office

Just participated in your Webinar (excellent) and I have a quick question on home office deduction. If I use my home office on average 1-2 hours a day for both administrative and on-call clinical work, can I take a deduction for mileage on my car for driving from home to the office during the week?

Zip Code: 87508

Re: auto expense from home office

To have a portion of your home qualify as the home office, you need to use that space for business purposes on a regular bases, and that space needs to be used exclusively in connection with your business. Guests can't sleep in that space, kids can't play in it, and your spouse can't take care of paying your household bills or answering his or her e-mails for even one day during the year for the space to qualify as a home office.

Assuming you meet both requirements and you feel that you qualify for the home office, then I would suggest that the miles you drive between your home and other places of business would all be deductible since you would be driving between job sites.

If the IRS audits your tax return and disallows the home office, they would also probably disallow a chunk of your mileage too, so make sure to keep good records.

Zip Code: 01801