Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Self-employed Issues
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
W2 Vs 1099

I am a locum hospitalist. The locum agency contract says i am "independent contractor". I don't get any workers comp, retirement benefits. I get a hourly rate for my shifts, travel and hotel expenses covered and malpractice insurance paid. No health benefits. I was asked to fill in a W2 form by the locum agency. Doesn't it make more sense to do form 1099 to save in tax?

Thanks.

Zip Code: 78240

Re: W2 Vs 1099

Usually it's up to the organization that pays you whether you are paid as a W-2 employee or 1099 contractor. If you fill out a W-4, expect to be paid as an employee. If you fill out a W-9, expect to be paid as a contractor.

From a tax perspective, there are pros and cons to be compensated either way.

Zip Code: 01801