Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Self-employed Issues
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
SEP IRA eligible if I have both W2 (with employer 401k) and 1099 income?

I have both W2 and 1099-Misc Income. My employer offers a 401k and I will contribute the max (17,500).

I have a sole-proprietorship for my 1099-income. Am I eligible to open a SEP-IRA based on my 1099-Misc income since I have a 401k?

If so, do the 401k contributions somehow minimize the amount of money I can contribute to the SEP IRA?

Assume my total income is > 300k. Assume my Sched C income is 50k.

Thanks for the help.

Zip Code: 44106

Re: SEP IRA eligible if I have both W2 (with employer 401k) and 1099 income?

As long as you own less than 50% of the practice where you work as an employee, you should be able to contribute 20% of your net self-employment income into a SEP IRA. When businesses have common ownership, they are considered one business for retirement plan purposes. Otherwise, every business owner would set up a second business that employs the owner and the owner's family, and then offers very generous benefits, while the employees of the original business gets mediocre benefits.

There is a quirky rule where the amount of money you and your employer contribute into a 403b account impacts the amount that can be contributed to a SEP. But if you work for a private business that offers a 401k, this shouldn't be an issue.

Zip Code: 01801