Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Tax Deductions
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Executive MBA deduction

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. The first few weeks in April are brutal every year for us tax accountants.

You're in a tough situation with this one. The AMT will limit a deduction like this. Perhaps you live in a state that allows itemized deductions, in which case you'll save a little bit in taxes by claiming this Executive MBA as a Miscellaneous Itemized Deduction.

And I assume your income is too high for the Lifetime Learning Credit or the Tuition Deduction. Both of these education tax breaks are allowable for graduate level tuition, but phase-out at a modest level of income.

Otherwise, I don't see where else on your return you can take a deduction like this, and I don't see how the practice can pay your tuition with pre-tax dollars.

I wish I had a better answer for you. Let us know if you learn of any ways to use your tuition to save some federal income taxes.

Zip Code: 01801