Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Basic Financial Planning
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Umbrella insurance

You should purchase the higher amount (if not more) based on your income potential as well as assets that you are going to accumulate over time. This coverage is very inexpensive and the cost for $2,000,000 won't be much more than the cost for $1,000,000 as the cost per $1,000,000 is not proportionate.

If you are interested, and send me an email, I will send you a detailed outline from a talk that I did with Jay Adkisson, Esq , a well-known asset protection attorney, for the American Society of Plastic Surgeons at their annual meeting called "Asset Protection: Avoiding the Landmines" along with an article by Daniel Rubin, Esq on the "The Ten Biggest Mistakes Physicians Make In Asset Protection". I think you will find them very informative.

Finally, you might want to read this article to better help you understand the significance of umbrella coverage http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2005/0606/146.html

You have heard correctly that an umbrella policy will not protect you against your own malpractice (BTW, the same is true for corporations).

Hope this helps.

Larry

Zip Code: 11797