Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Corp's, S-Corp's, and LLC's
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: incorporate?

Thank you for your insightful comments. The meeting went well. One thing he brought up that was quite interesting was having the corp reimburse your disability insurance after you have personally paid for it. Thereby making it deductible and also nontaxable if paid out. Is this true or is it just that he hasn't been audited?

please send me your firm's info

Zip Code: 92078

That statement isn't true.

First off, only C-corps can deduct disability insurance premiums paid. Plus, if the corporation deducts the DI premiums, then the benefit would be taxable to you if you ever collect on the policy.

Zip Code: 01801

I agree with Andrews comment about only C Corps.

Regarding the employer (if a C Corp) reimbursing the DI premiums that were paid personally, in the past the strategy was to have you personally pay the current year's premium. Then, after the premium year has passed, if you had not become disabled, the company reimburses you for the previous year premium. I frankly don't know if this strategy works anymore, but again, even if it does work, it would only do so in a C Corp.

Zip Code: 43085