Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Corp's, S-Corp's, and LLC's
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: incorporate?

That just made a heck of a lot more sense to me than my future employer's explanation. I'm actually meeting with him tomorrow to discuss this topic but wanted more info before the meeting.

i thought there were many criteria the IRS use to classify someone as an independent contractor vs employee. i may be mistaken but the point is that it is not black or white. Simply having our compensation paid to "our corp" certainly can't be the only measuring stick. I guess its just one less thing my future employer wants to worry about if they are audited.

The problem is that a med mal lawyer of mine in illinois said we should not form a joint corp unless we are sure we're not liable for each other's debts if sued. In other words forming a joint corporation could put all of our money at risk if one of us is sued. Again, something i need to discuss with a business law attorney.

In all, the situation seems bleak especially if we both have to incorporate to take this part time job and pay upwards of $6000 each to do so.

To complicate matters I recently set up a health reimbursement agreement for my wife to take advantage of our sole proprietor designation. I'm not sure how this is all affected if we end up having to incorporate.

btw, you mentioned before that you advise most your clients whose primary business is contracting work to incorp at >300k. Can you break down this "magical" number? I'm assuming at that amount you have enough legitimate money left after salary to make it worthwhile to escape the medicare tax through s-corp distributions but I don't understand why it is this particular number. can you elaborate?

somewhat less confused,
randy

Zip Code: 92078

Hi,

For starters, I'd like to clarify a few points.

First off, please take the advice of the lawyer concerning potential legal liabilities of one corporation versus two corporations. I always recommend to my clients that they seek out an attorney when trying to determine how best to protect one's assets.

Second, you are correct that there are a bunch of tests the IRS looks at when determining whether you should be classified as an employee or independent contractor. I wrote an article about this topic back in 2003 that is available at: http://www.mdtaxes.com/news0703.html#2. One way to get around these tests, however, is to have an emloyee incorporate - since a corporation generally can never be considered an employee.

With respect to the $300k number, we genenerally figure that reasonable salary is equivalent to the maximum a person can earn and count for retirement plan purposes. For 2008, that figure was $230k (increased to $245k in 2009). So let's say you earn $300k, take a salary of $230k, and take $70k in S-Corp distributions. Not paying Medicare taxes on $70k will save you $2k in taxes - which will offset a lot of the extra costs associated with operating your practice as a corporation. (In Mass, there is a second benefit to incorporating that is specific to that state.)

Finally, I use $6k as the cost of an S-corp only if you work somewhere else during the year, and hit the FICA max ($106,800 in 2009) at that job. If your only source of income is your S-Corp, the annual cost of maintaining your S-Corp is probably closer to two or three thousand dollars. Remember, you'll need to prepare a corporate tax return, put yourself on payroll, pay unemployment taxes and worker's comp insurance, and most likely pay a minimum tax in your state. Add up all these costs, and you're looking at a few thousand bucks.

We have lots of clients who are in your exact situation, and things have worked out very well for most of them over a number of years. Maintaining the corporation has not proven to be too much of a financial or administrative headache for these clients.

(If you want to find out my firm's fee for the tax and payroll services you'll need once you incorporate, I'd be glad to talk to you about that. We actually have a specific package called Single Source Only for clients who incorporate, get paid by one source, and are the only employee of their corporation.)

Good luck at your meeting.

Zip Code: 01801

Thank you for your insightful comments. The meeting went well. One thing he brought up that was quite interesting was having the corp reimburse your disability insurance after you have personally paid for it. Thereby making it deductible and also nontaxable if paid out. Is this true or is it just that he hasn't been audited?

please send me your firm's info

Zip Code: 92078

That statement isn't true.

First off, only C-corps can deduct disability insurance premiums paid. Plus, if the corporation deducts the DI premiums, then the benefit would be taxable to you if you ever collect on the policy.

Zip Code: 01801

I agree with Andrews comment about only C Corps.

Regarding the employer (if a C Corp) reimbursing the DI premiums that were paid personally, in the past the strategy was to have you personally pay the current year's premium. Then, after the premium year has passed, if you had not become disabled, the company reimburses you for the previous year premium. I frankly don't know if this strategy works anymore, but again, even if it does work, it would only do so in a C Corp.

Zip Code: 43085