Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Retirement Planning
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Contribute to both a SE-401k and a money purchase pension plan in the same year?

I have moonlighting income, some of which I sock away in a SE-401k. For 2011, I have already put some money in my SE-401k.

Starting this summer, I will have a full time job that has a money purchase pension plan set up as their retirement plan.

From my understanding, I am required to contribute a certain % of my income to the money purchase pension plan. However, I have already contributed to my SE-401k this year. Can I contribute to both as long as the total contribution is < $49000 between the two? If not, what can I do (since the money purchase pension plan contribution is mandatory?)

Zip Code: 44106