Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

IRAs and Roth IRAs
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
retirement account

Hi there, i am accepting a position with a provider who is running a private practice, they told me that i can't be enrolled into any retirement plan until April next year as i need to complete 1yr and 1000hrs. My question is other than contributing to a regular ira of 5000, can i set up a SEP ira or do anything to save more in retirement fund and thus save on taxes, any input will be greatly appreciated.
thanks

Zip Code: 73117

Re: retirement account

Unfortunately, when you work for a private practice, the amount you can contribute into retirement plans is at the mercy of the group's retirement plans that are in place. Having to work 1000 hours in a calendar year and also work 12 consecutive months prior to becoming eligible to participate in the retirement plan is pretty standard.

Unless you have self-employment income, your only option is an IRA for $5,500.

When you do become eligible, try to put away the full $17.5k in salary deferrals for 2014.

Zip Code: 01801