Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

IRAs and Roth IRAs
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
401 contribution between jobs and IRA

I was contributing (Max) to my previous employers 401 (TSP) account with employers matching contributions.

I have left that job since Mar 09, and I am not eligible for retirement plan at my new employer till Mar 10.

What is the best I could do in this situation to maximize my retirement. Does this mean I will lose a years contribution? Is IRA the only option? What would be the max I could save this year (AGI over 250,000).

Thanks for your reply

SM

Zip Code: 78230

Re: 401 contribution between jobs and IRA

When you work for an employer, the amount you can contribute to that employer's retirement plan is a function of the plan in place. If there is a one-year waiting period at your new job, then unfortunately, you can't contribute any money into that employer's retirement plan.

Whenever I find out that one of my clients is going to switch jobs, I try to remind that person to max out their salary deferrals before they leave the first job, since many employers require a one-year waiting period prior to becoming eligible to participate in their retirement plan.

If you have some independent contractor income, you have the option of setting up a self-employed retirement plan. At this point, you could either set up a SEP IRA or a Solo 401k. While the Solo 401k would need to be set up by 12/31, you have all the way until 4/15 (10/15 if you go on extension) to set up a SEP.

You also have the option to contribute to an IRA, and put away $5k. You have until 4/15/10 to make an IRA contribution for 2009. This contribution won't be deductible to you, but depending on your other retirement accounts, you might benefit by converting that IRA to a Roth IRA in 2010.

We wrote about both these strategies a lot on MDTAXES, and you can find a directory of all of our articles at www.mdtaxes.com/oldnews.html.

Zip Code: 01801