Welcome to the MDTAXES Message Board

The MDTAXES Network is an affiliation of CPAs that specialize in the tax planning and preparation for young health care professionals.  Please leave your questions or comments for our CPAs, who visit the message board regularly, or review the answers, suggestions and ideas posted in response to your colleagues' questions.

Please check out our other Message Boards available at www.FindAGoodCPA.com.

Please note: We are NOT affiliated with the Maryland Tax Department. If you're looking for information about Maryland income taxes, go to www.marylandtaxes.com.

Moonlighting & Locum Tenens
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
taxes during locums

i have been doing locums in various states this year. i am a resident of virginia, with a permanent address there. how do i have to pay my state taxes? do i pay estimated taxes to virginia, or to the various states that i have wokred at? (calculatind the taxes only for those days worked in each state?)

Zip Code: 04401

Re: taxes during locums

You'll file your taxes as a resident of Virginia and as a non-resident of each other state where you worked.

You'll first file the non-resident returns, and pay taxes to those states only on the income earned within each respective state.

You'll then file your Virginia return, calculate your tax on all of the income you earned during the year, and then take a tax credit for the taxes you pay to the other states. In the end, you'll only pay taxes to VA on income earned within states that have no state income taxes or a lower rate than you are paying in VA.

I hope this answers your questions.

Zip Code: 01801